Monday, November 4, 2013

Blog Post #13: Hamlet Blog Assignment 1


 
My father is dead! The king is gone! And now a new king has been crowned, mine own uncle, whom I do suspect. And my mother married to him, “the funeral bak’d meats did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables” (1.1.180). How could she, so short a time of mourning, “Frailty, thy name is woman” (1.1.145). And to marry mine own uncle, her own brother-in-law, “most wicked speed, to post with such dexterity to incestuous sheets” (1.1.155). This truly is an unweeded garden, spoiled seeds left to germinate. When the noble are killed in cold blood, by their blood, then the same blood mingles in the monarchy—the natural balance of things is off. I must get to the bottom of this. I will not stand by while my father’s killer roams the streets of innocents, and me mocked publicly by my uncle-turned-stepfather, “’tis unmanly grief” (1.1.95) said in front the whole court. It is a man’s duty to mourn his father, his king! I will avenge his death…

No comments:

Post a Comment